A few months ago, I purchased this little bottle from Lush. I bought it out of pure curiosity. It is called Sliky Underwear and comes in the same packaging as their little showergels. Silky Underwear is a dusting powder. What is a dusting powder you ask? Well, you can think of it as being like a luxurious, better smelling but far more expensive version of a baby powder.
Silky Underwear consists mainly of cornstarch, kaolin and tiny ground up pieces of cocoa butter for moisture. It is scented with vetivert and jasmin absolue and shares its scent with the Fairy Ring soap from the christmas collection. I’ve fallen in love with this scent after using Fairy Ring for the first time.
Silky Underwear is a very finely milled powder that makes your skin feel smooth and ‘silky’ and is slightly absorbing. You can use it for a whole host of things. Here is a list of the things I’ve used it for so far:
- All over the body. I used this right after showering with Fairy Ring. I loved the soft powdery scent that lingered on my skin for a while. I did not notice any of the ‘moisturizing qualities’ that Silky Underwear is supposed to have though.
- After applying body lotion. I had read online (hello MakeupAlley) that you can apply this powder after you’ve applied your lotion to help absorb the oily layer. I tried this method and didn’t like it at all. I found that the oil from the lotion and the powder together created a messy paste-like texture on my legs. Did I do something wrong? I don’t know, but it wasn’t a pleasant experience.
- On your thighs. If you are like me, and like the other 99,99 % of the female population, you do not have a thigh gap. If you are wearing a skirt on a hot day, without any leggings, your legs might rub against each other when you are moving about and doing your thing. Ladies, you know what I am talking about. I found that this powder helped to make that feeling more comfortable, making the thighs silky smooth.
- Before putting on your skinny jeans. If you are a fan of jeans that look like they are painted on your legs (anyone remember the skinny jeans scenes from Seinfeld?), than this powder might be just the thing for you. I find that putting on my skinny jeans in the morning, especially right after showering, can sometime feel like I’m trying to force my legs into a tiny glove. I find that applying Silky Underwear on my legs before squeezing myself in my skinny jeans really helps.
- As a deodorant on cold days. Since I am already used to using a powder deodorant (The Greeench by Lush), I thought I might give this powder a go as well. I liked this method, even though it would probably not be absorbing enough to keep my pits at bay on a warm day.
- On my feet. I applied the Silky Underwear on my feet before putting on my socks and loved the fresh and clean feeling this gave me. I would not say that it made my feet smell like roses all day, but it certainly didn’t hurt.